Bitsukoy / Bichocoy is an all-time favorite snack! As simple as it may seem (it's just sugar-rolled deep-fried dough), it's a delicious snack or even dessert as it could be the local version of a doughnut. While appearance may differ - some as twisted and others are really doughnut shaped, it basically tastes the same. A treat that brings back the taste memories at the same time satisfy one's craving witha sweet and delightful bite.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter – cold/solid cubed
- 1/2 cup water, lukewarm
- Sugar, for coating
How to make Bitsukoy
- In a bowl, combine flour, butter, salt, sugar and yeast. Mix well.
- Crack the egg into the mixture then add lukewarm water.Mix well.
- Knead the dough in a clean and floured surface until smooth and elastic. Let is rise for 1-2 hours.
- Divide the dough into 10-12 pieces or depending on the size you want. Let it rise for another 30 minutes.
- Pour enough oil in a pan or deep-fryer.
- Fry the dough 2-3 minutes or until it turns golden brown. Set aside to let it cool.
- Roll the cooked dough in sugar until all the surface is covered.