Sinabawan is the more basic Ilonggo sinigang where only tomatoes and onions make the dish. Its a hearty fish soup that is often found on most household for a simple yet delicious meal.
Here's the recipe for a Sinabawan na Bangus
- 1 large Bangus (milkfish), cleaned and sliced into serving pieces
- 2 large tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Fish sauce or salt
- 2 pcs chili
- Leeks or onion leaves
- 5 cups water
- Bring water to a boil.
- Place tomatoes, and onion then simmer for few minutes.
- Add the bangus and simmer for 10 minutes or until bangus is cooked
- Season with fish sauce or salt.
- Add chili and leeks and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it stand for a few minutes before serving.
This recipe also stands in for a sinigang recipe wherein you can add your souring ingredient (sampalok, sinigang mix, kamias, calamansi or batwan) at (4) and vegetables like radish and eggplant at (5) with the greens like kangkong and kamote after the (5) are cooked.