Most likely you've encountered labanos or radish in a Sinigang recipe or as an appetizer with vinegar dressing. But on its own, I love its peppery-bitter (or how might you call it) taste. If it's in season or if its really cheap in the market, we'd have like a "Labanos Festival" at home. And here's one of the simplest recipes using radish.
- 4 medium radish
- 1 cup ground meat
- 2 medium onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Salt, pepper, soy sauce and/or broth cubes to taste
How to cook Labanos Guisado with Ground Pork.The measurements on this recipes are just guides since in actually making this one, I just did not measure any of the ingredients. Also, I just used salt and pepper as seasoning to bring out the real taste of the labanos. Some times I used a lot of tomatoes to make the broth redder the natural way. Enjoy!
- Wash and peel radish then slice into thin strips.
- In a pan, add little oil then saute-in onion, garlic and tomatoes.
- Add ground meat and season with salt and pepper.
- Place labanos strips and add 1-2 cups of water (adjust if needed)
- Bring to a boil then adjust flavour by adding more seasoning.
- Simmer until the labanos are tender enough (around 10 minutes)
- Serve as a side dish but still very delicious on its own.