Whether for a fiesta or any special occasion, embutido is a perfect dish to serve. Not only it adds presentation and flavour to any menu, it is also among the more familiar items that need no introduction. And as there many occasions. there are many recipes as well as tweaks in making embutido.
- 1 kilo ground pork
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 1/2 or 1 cup minced red bell pepper/ green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup pickle relish
- 4-5 whole eggs
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Slices of hard boiled eggs
- Slices of of sausages or hotdogs
- Salt, pepper, liquid seasoning, to taste
How to make Embutido
- Prepare a steamer and set aside.
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 4-5 portions.
- Spread and flatten the mixture onto the center of each foil.
- Divide the slices of hard boiled eggs (1/4 or 1/6) and sausages/hotdogs. Place each slices at the center of each mixture. Hold the foil onto your hand and roll until the ends of the mixture covers the eggs and sausages.
- Finally roll the aluminum foil into a tightly packed log about 2in diameter sealing on both ends. Repeat with the remaining pork mixture.
- Place the embutido in a steamer and steam for an hour.
- Let it cool and store in the fridge before serving
- Share and enjoy!
The measurements are just guides as one can tweak it to his own liking. I would definitely add more cheese. We also tried adding chopped/"crushed" canned sausage to the mix to give it more flavour - it came out very tasty.