This simple sauteed dish consisting of these two vegetables plus shrimps and pork is one of the favorites as the taste of the two veggies collide at the same time mix in a good way. Kalubay is what Ilonggos call upo or bottle gourd and tawgi sounds like togue which are monggo sprouts.
Here's a simple recipe for Ginisang Upo at Togue
- 1 cup tawgi (togue/mung bean sprouts), wash and cleaned
- 1 cup kalubay (upo), sliced
- 3/4 cup Pork slices
- 1/2 Shrimps, with "shells"
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Salt and Pepper (or pork bouillon cubes)
- 1 cup water
How to cook Ginisang Upo at TogueWhen everything's done, just enjoy every spoonful of this simple and delicious dish. Extra rice, please!
- In a heated pan, put pork slices and fry it in its own oil.
- Saute in garlic, onion and tomatoes then add kalubay and togue.
- Add water and season with salt and pepper (or broth cubes.).
- Boil and simmer until the pork and vegetables are cooked.
- Add shrimps and boil for 2-3 minutes or until it turns orange
- Remove from heat and serve.