Suman is to the Ilonggos as what biko is to Tagalogs and other places. So don't be surprised if you're given this malagkit rice specialty instead of the one wrapped in coconut leaves which is commonly called ibos in this part of the country.
- 3 cups glutinous rice
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2-3 spoons butter
- 3 calamansi peels
You can add more topping using thickened boiled coconut milk and brown sugar. You can also top it with latik.
- Cook the rice in 1 cup coconut milk, 2 cups water and butter. Just cook the rice the usual way
- In a pan, boil the coconut milk and brown sugar on a low fire.
- After it boiled, add calamansi peels then simmer for a minute or two, then remove from the mixture.
- Add the cooked rice and stir to mix evenly.
- Cover and cook in low heat for 5 minutes or until the rice evenly absorbs the coconut-sugar cream.