Kumbo is what Ilonggos refer to as banana fritters - saba dipped in batter then fried and sprinkled with sugar. Its filling snack and easy to make at the same time tweak the recipe a bit to satisfy your taste and curiosity.
Here's a basic recipe for kumbo.
- 12 pcs Saba bananas (ripe but not too soft)
- 1/2 cup refined sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup water
- Cooking oil
How to make Kumbo
- Cut the bananas lengthwise. Each banana may yield 5-6 pieces depending on the size.
- In a bowl, mix the flour with water to make a thin batter - just adjust the amount of water.
- Heat oil in a pan enough for deep-frying.
- Dip 4-5 bananas into the batter and then fry.
- When golden brown, place in a collander to let the oil drip. You can also place it on paper towels
- Sprinkle with sugar.