Tortang Talong is a favorite breakfast staple that is easy and simple to cook. I just love it when it is cooked tostado giving it more crunch especially on the sides. Tomato ketchup is my favorite dip but I won't say to no toyo-mansi. Simple as it may seem, others add ground pork to the egg mixture and use the meat as topping on one side. One can use hotdogs, bacon, and ham, giving it a more "sophistication".
- 5 pcs medium sized eggplant
- 2-3 pcs eggs
- Salt and Pepper
- Garlic and/or Onion Powder, optional
- Cooking oil, enough for frying
How to cook Tortang Talong
- Grill the eggplant until cooked. The color of skin turns almost black.
- Peel off the skin and set aside. Make sure to remove all the burnt skin
- Crack the eggs and place in a bowl. Adjust the number of eggs to the size of the eggplant
- Season with salt and pepper. You can also used garlic and/or onion powder or other seasoning. Mix well.
- Flatten the peeled eggplant using a fork and dip it in the beaten egg mix.
- Over medium heat, pour enough cooking oil in a frying pan.
- When oil is hot, fry the eggplant one at a time.While frying, scoop some hot oil and pour over the uncooked side to cook it faster.
- Place cooked eggplant on a plate with table napkins to absorb excess oil.
- Served with you favorite dip.