Now if you're intimidated upon reading ampalaya or bitter gourd as part of this salad, don't be. This refreshing salad has more sweetness to it (thanks to the pineapples) than the bitterness (of the ampalaya) that forms in your mind and tastebuds. Enjoy this healthy salad and you'll never look at bittergourds the same way again... I hope.
- 2 cups pineapple tidbits
- 1 cup seeded thinly sliced ampalaya or bittergourd (you can make it 2 cups if you love ampalaya)
- 1 can tuna (preferably Solid in Water variant)
- 1 large size white onion, sliced
- Cold Pineapple juice, saved from the tidbits (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons Salt
- Salt, sugar and pepper (optional)
How to make Pineapple, Ampalaya and Tuna Salad
- In a bowl, mix salt and ampalaya. Make sure they are thoroughly mixed. use your hands if need. Leave for about 30 minutes.
- Squeeze out the ampalaya juices then wash the ampalaya with water. You can also soak the ampalaya in pineapple juice for 15 minutes or so
- When done, place pineapples, ampalaya, onions and tuna and give it a toss.
- You can make flavor adjustments using salt, sugar and pepper.
- Store in the fridge for at least and hour. Serve cold.