Just like it's namesake (well, almost) lechon, this crunchy pork belly dish needs no introduction. The mere mention of lechon kawali brings to the senses the crunch, the crispness, the aroma and the taste of this well-loved Pinoy favorite. Now, it's time to make one and enjoy all the goodness!
- 2 kilos Pork Belly
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 medium-size onion
- 1 thumb-size ginger
- 3-4 pcs bay leaves (laurel)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons whole pepper corn
- Water, enough for boiling
- Oil for deep frying
How to cook Lechon Kawali
- In a big pot, place pork belly with garlic, onion, ginger, bay leaves, peppercorn and salt. Place enough water to cover everything.
- Bring to a boil then continue to simmer for around an hour or until the skin/pork is tender. Remove impurities that may arise. Add more water if necessary.
- Remove pork belly from the pot. Let it cool and/or refrigerate over night.
- To make crunchy lechon kawali, deep fry pork belly until golden brown and to the crispness you want.
- When done, cut into serving size. and serve with your favorite dip.
Pinoys are fond of soy sauce and vinegar with onions and chilies as dip. Others just settle for ketchup and Mang Tomas sarsa. I usually make a banana ketchup, calamansi and chili dip and it always screams "Extra Rice, please"
Lechon kawali has also evolved that just being the "plain" deep fried pork belly as in some restaurants they are part of something of another taste dimension. Fancy Sinigang na Lechon Kawali?
|Sinigang na Lechon Kawali|
|Pinakbet with Lechon Kawali|