Whenever there are some left over fried fish at home, chances it will end as either cardillo or sweet-and-sour. While the former is cooked by adding beaten egg to the sauteed fried fish for a savoury dish the latter has the vinegar and sugar combination that creates a flavourful sauce for the fish. And there so many variations to the sweet and sour fish recipe but all point to the delicious mix of "sugared vinegar"!
- 1 kilo fish (whole for medium sized fishes or sliced for big fishes)
- 1 small size carrots, thin strips
- 2 medium size bell pepper, thin strips
- 1 tablespoon ginger, thin strips
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 small size onion, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (dissolved in 1/4 cup water)
How to make Sweet and Sour Fish
- In a wok, deep fry lightly-salted fish until golden brown and crisp.
- In a sauce pan, saute ginger, garlic, onions and tomatoes.
- Add vinegar and bring to a boil then add sugar and water. Make flavour adjustments by adding more vinegar, sugar and water.
- Place carrots and bell pepper then simmer for 1-2 minutes or until cooked.
- Add cornstarch mixture and simmer for a minute.
- Remove from heat,pour mixture over fried fish and serve.