Chicken Inasal is the local version of chicken barbecue and is a staple throughout the region. As this is a very popular delicacy, recipe tends to vary from one to another or even from one inasal stand to another. A whole lot of chicken inasal restaurants have sprouted across the country led by Mang Inasal, an Iloilo-based fastfood chain before it was acquired by Jollibee around 5 years ago. But even if there are no chciken insal stands or Mang Inasal branches near you, you can still enjoy the delectable goodness of chicken inasal using this simple recipe.
Here' a simple recipe for Chicken Inasal
- 1 whole chicken, cut into serving pieces or you can have choice cuts
- 1 Tbsp Sea salt
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks/bulbs lemon grass
- 1/4 cup sugar, adjustable and optional
- 1 thumb size ginger chopped finely
- 1 bottle of Sprite or 7-Up
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- Black peppercorn, optional
- 3/4 cup coco vinegar
- 1/2 Annatto (achuete) oil
How to cook Chicken Inasal
- Using a mortar and pestle, pound the lemon grass stalk, garlic and sea salt.
- Add ginger, soy sauce, pepper, sugar, vinegar and soda. Mix well.
- Set aside 2-3 tbsp of the marinade for basting. Mix it with the achuete oil. To make achuete oil, you can buy achuete powder or use real achuete seeds mixed with oil. When using seeds, heat oil then mix seeds until color becomes orange.
- Make a few cuts on the meaty side of the chicken to let the marinade seep in more.
- In a bowl, mix the marinade with the chicken pieces making sure it coats the chicken well.
- Leave to aside for at least half an hour before grilling.
- Grill chicken, 5-10 minutes on each side and basting every few "turn-overs".
- Serve with dip made with soy sauce, vinegar and calamansi.