Sambag (tamarind) candy is an acquired taste as it is a combination of "screaming" sweet and sour flavours in just one bite. Another version of this well-loved sambag candy is one shaped into balls and rolled in sugar. Sweet potato or kamote is used as extender at the same time giving it body to form into balls.
Here's the recipe for Sambag Balls Candy
- 1 and 1/2 cups Tamarind pulp
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2 cups Sweet potato (boiled and mashed)
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 cups water
How to make Sambag Candy Balls
- Combine the above ingredients and mix thoroughly. Use 1 and 1/2 cups of sugar, the remaining will be used later
- Cook mixture over moderate fire with constant stirring until the mixture becomes very thick and can take shape.
- Let it cool and form into balls.
- Roll and coat in white sugar (use more if necessary)
- Wrap in cellophane.