Check out More Recipes...

Rice Puto with Gata

Puto is among the most popular Filipino native delicacies. On it's own, it's one delicious snack but also eaten with dinuguan or in Iloilo, with a bowl of hot batchoy. It comes in many forms and in many variants, the simplest of which is just plain and simple rice puto.  
Here's a very simple recipe for Rice Puto with Gata


Ingredients
  • 2 cups ordinary rice
  • 1 & 1/2 cups water
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt 
  • 1 cup sugar (white, refined)
  • Banana leaves (optional)
How to make Rice Puto with Gata
  1. Soak rice in water overnight. 
  2. Grind it to form a thick galapong batter. (You can grind rice using a blender)
  3. Mix-in sifted baking powder, salt and sugar.
  4. Add the coconut milk. Mix very well until the batter is smooth.
  5. (If you will be using banana leaves, heat it first to wilt it and place in the molder.)
  6. Pour in the batter to almost 3/4 full of the mold.
  7. Steam for 30 minutes or until cooked. Insert a toothpick at the center, if it comes out clean, the puto is ready.
You can also top it with cheese for a malinamnam na PUTO CHEESE.

16 comments:

  1. Is it possible to substitute galapong With rice powder ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it a few times already. Its the best recipe I found on line so far. As for your question, I rather not recommend the powder version. It is not the same. Just saying.

      Delete
    2. Glad you like this simple recipe

      Delete
  2. Pwede po ba rice flour?

    ReplyDelete
  3. there are puto recipes that use jasmine rice but others warn against using them.
    haven't tried using jasmine rice though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made this recipe with jasmine rice and half the sugar required (only because I did not have enough sugar). I think the coconut milk mentioned in this recipe is the milk squeezed from freshly grated coconut. I used the canned coconut milk sold in the oriental stores, quite rich. Anyway, the outcome is quite delightful considering this is the first time I ever made puto and with a makeshift steamer to boot. I love your blog. Your recipes are very popular among my Ilonggo friends in the US. My son loves the puto so that to me is the best compliment. Thank you for sharing your recipes, they are awesome. Wonderful blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You very much Ces :)

      Delete
    2. kabayan, nag try bala ako mag himo kaso pirmi palpak akon ubra, daw nag kuntsinta , damo na nga bugas nausik ko,... puede makita sa video paano ni sya maubra? in box na lang kung puede, madamo gid nga salamat,...

      Delete
  5. Lovely post! Full of information about your flavourful recipes :)
    Thanks very much for sharing!
    Indian Restaurants in Karol Bagh


    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I use brown rice ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I use brown rice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like brown rice but I wouldn't use it for puto. I like my puto to taste the way it should.

      Delete
    2. I like brown rice but I wouldn't use it for puto. I like my puto to taste the way it should.

      Delete