Atsara is the Filipino version of pickles popularly made with grated unripe papaya though others use assorted vegetables, labong (bamboo shoots) or dampalit - a weed.. It is often served as a side dish for fried or grilled foods such as pork barbecue, chicken barbecue or any inihaw na isda. The recipe varies from regions around the country and even from household to house. hold.
- 2 cups green papaya, grated
- 1 small bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 1 big thumb-size ginger, strips
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 and 1/2 cup coco vinegar
- 1/4 cup rock salt
- Sugar, salt and pepper to taste
How to make Atsara na Papaya
- Mix papaya and salt then squeeze out the juice. Set aside
- In a pot, place vinegar, bell peppers, carrots, ginger, onions and garlic.
- Bring to a boil until carrots soften - about 5 minutes.
- Adjust flavor to suit your taste by adding sugar, salt and pepper.
- When done, add papaya and simmer for 2-3 minutes or so.
- Let it cool then store overnight in the fridge before serving.