Leche Flan. There's no need to introduce this dessert as the name alone creates vivid memories of very popular and Filipinized caramel custard. Often at the center of the dessert table, leche flan is basically made of eggs and milk topped with sugar caramel. It's almost everywhere- restaurants, fastfood and even carinderias. But the best leche flan is the one that brings back the memories of home, of your childhood.
How to make Leche Flan
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 dozen egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- Place sugar and water in a small pot and turn heat on high. Mix thoroughly until the sugar dissolves and the mixture turns into a liquid caramel.
- Pour liquid caramel on flan mold and let it harden
- In a large bowl, place the egg yolks, condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla. Mix well using a hand blender.
- Using a fine strainer, pour the egg yolk and milk mixture on top of the caramel in the mold.
- Using a steamer, cook the flan for about 45 minutes or until flan is firm. Dip a toothpick at the center of the flan - if it comes out clean, the flan is already cooked.
- Let the flan cool. Run a knife around the edges of the mold and turn upside down onto a serving plate.