There are many ways of cooking adobo - be it pork, chicken or vegetables. And the recipes varies from region to region and even household to household. One of the variation of this favorite Pinoy recipe is using achuete (annatto) to give a distinct flavour, color and aroma making it more visually appealing and of course more delicious.
Here's a recipe for Chicken Adobo with Achuete and one can tweak this recipe to suit his own taste and/or with the availability of ingredients especially those with limited sources.
- 1 and 1/2 kilo chicken
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- Annatto Oil (annatto seeds cooked in oil and drained OR a mixture of achuete powder, water and oil)
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 2 pcs laurel (bay leaf)
- 1 tsp peppercorn
How to make Chicken Adobo in Achuete
- Marinate the chicken (cut into serving pieces) in vinegar, atchuete mix (achuete powder, water and cooking oil), garlic, laurel leaves, pepper corn and salt . Set aside for at least an hour
- In a pan, sauté the garlic then add chicken (separated from the marinade - set aside)
- Stir-fry until brown. In you're making a big recipe, try to fry the chicken in batches to ensure uniform frying/browning.
- When frying is done, place the chicken all together, add the marinade.
- Stew in low heat until the sauce thickens. Adjust flavor if needed.
- Serve garnished with fried garlic and drizzled with annatto oil.