There are many ways of cooking adobo - be it pork, chicken or vegetables. And the recipes varies from region to region and even household to household. The most common is pork and/or adobo and this alone has many variations. But one of my favorites is Chicken Liver Adobo especially if the liver is sort of crisp and the adobo sauce is a bit darker than the usual
Here's a simple Chicken Liver (and Heart) Adobo Recipe
- 3/4 kilo Chicken Liver (and heart, if you desire)
- 1/2 cup Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 pcs Bay leaves
- 1 head garlic, chopped
- 1 large head garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Whole black peppercorns
- In a wok or pan, add oil and fry 1/3 of the chopped garlic until crisp. Set aside for this will serve as toppings.
- Add more oil and fry (almost deep fry) chicken liver and set aside. Do it per batch depending on the size of your wok/pan.
- Reduce oil and saute minced garlic (the more garlic the better) and onions.
- Add the fried chicken liver (and heart), vinegar, soy sauce, pepper corn and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and simmer. You can adjust flavor by adding more vinegar, soy sauce and water. Add a little sugar to balance saltiness.
- Cover and continue to simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer of a serving plate then garnish with fried garlic.